Quiet time is one of the most essential aspects of your Christian life. Many Christians take some time reading the bible everyday. While it is very useful, just reading the bible will not lead you to much fuller Christian walk with Christ. You need to spend time in his words, study and learn from it everyday. Without daily regular quiet time, our spiritual life can be seriously malnourished just as our body can be mal-nutritioned without proper food and water!
Here I am presenting simple steps for how to do your daily quiet time.(Quiet Time Bible Guide: 365 Days Through the New Testament and Psalms)
Time: Quiet time should be about 10-15 minutes long. You can choose time according to you schedule. For some, morning works better, for others, night may work well. While, I recommend the morning time as you are much calmer and fresh, any time can work fine. It is also important to set fixed time everyday, as it brings discipline and consistency.
What do you need?
Your bible, note and pen. You can occasionally refer to bible commentary or dictionary for difficult passages of bible (Free bible study resources). But I would recommend studying bible as it is and ask God for his guidance to understand the passage. It is a very good practice to take notes in your quiet time. You will be amazed when you will see your quiet time notes years later!
How To do Quiet Time?
- Start with prayer:
- Spend just few minutes in worship and thanksgiving.
- Spend some time in asking God for forgiveness for our sins.
- Ask for his guidance in today’s quiet time
- Passage for Quiet time: It is good to select any book of bible and read it continuously. It will help you to get the whole picture and can enjoy your quiet time more. Select about 8-10 verses, don’t select whole chapter, as you may not be able to cover it all. Select small paragraph according to passage.
- Read the paragraph for 2-3 times. This bible study method is also called ASPECT method. From the paragraph, ask following questions.
- A – About God – What can you learn about God through this passage?
- S – Sin – Does it talk about any sin?
- P – Promise – Is there any promise in the word?
- E – Example – Is there any example, I can follow?
- C –Command – Which command I need to obey?
- T – Teaching – What can I learn from this passage?
- Concluding Prayer:
- Thank God for his guidance in quiet time
- Worship God for his characteristic
- Pray for deliverance from any sin
- Ask for strength for the day.
- Here is a simple example of Quiet time using ASPECT method. Quiet time on 1 John 4:7-12: pdf
Quiet Time Resources on Amazon:
If you are blessed with this Bible study, I’d be very grateful if you’d help it spread by sharing it on Twitter, Facebook or your preferred social media network. Thank you!
—Amit Christian (BibleSEO Editor)