Q. What are the actions not associated with the righteous man (person) in v 1, 2?
- The righteous man does not walk – in the counsel of the wicked.
- He does not stand – in the paths (ways) of the sinners.
- He does not sit – in the seats of mockers.
- He does not participate in the sinful acts of others. It does not mean he does not befriend or talk with them.
Q. What was Jesus accused of, in Matthew 9:10, 11 and Matthew 11:19?
- Jesus was accused many times by the Pharisees and the teachers of the Law of being a friend of tax collectors and sinners, and of spending a lot of His time with them. ( also check out The Scribes Questions Jesus’ Authority)
Q. Compare Psalms 1:1-2 with Matthew 9:10,11 and 11:19? How do we follow instruction given in Psalms 1:1-2?
- It means that the righteous,
- Must not follow (walk) in the counsel of the wicked.
- Must not participate (stand) in the sinful acts of wicked.
- Must not join (sit) with the mockers.
- Even though Jesus spent a lot of time with the sinners and tax collectors, His presence brought light and redemption (salvation) to those dark places and lives.
What is the joy of a righteous man?
- To meditate on the Word of the Lord day and night.
- To learn and obey the word of God. (Quiet time)
Q. What are the characteristics of the tree planted by the rivers (streams) of water?
- It is alive and gives us food, shelter and is useful in many other ways.
- Its leaves do not wither. (No fall!)
- It gets its nourishment from water. Its roots are planted near the source of life, which is water.
- It bears fruits in its appropriate season. (The fruits are useful to others and not for itself.)
Q. How does the example of the tree relate to the righteous person?
- He is always growing in the Lord and is rooted in the firm foundation of the Word of God. (Ephesians 3:17)
- He bears much fruit. (John 15:8 – “This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.”)
- Galatians 5: 22 – “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control.”
Q. What are the characteristics of chaff?
- Aimless, directionless, without purpose. It has no utility.
Q What is the destiny of the wicked as described in v. 5-6?
- They will not stand in the judgment of God.
- They will not sit in the assembly of the righteous.
- They will perish.
- What is your standing in the judgment of God? Have you received Christ and His righteousness?
- Are you firmly rooted in the word of God? (Ephesians 3: 17)
- Do you meditate on the Word of God every day?
- Do you manifest the fruits of the spirit? (Galatians 5:22)
If you are blessed with this Bible study, I’d be very grateful if you’d help it spread by sharing it on Twitter, Facebook or your preferred social media network. Thank you!
—Amit Christian (BibleSEO Editor)