Bible Study Lesson
1 John 1: 5 – 10
Fellowship, Sin, Light & Darkness.
Fellowship with God and walking in the darkness:
- God is light. Think of an example of carrying a candle or lamp with you. Can you be hidden? Can you be in the darkness? If you are walking with God, if you have fellowship with him, you will not continue to walk in the darkness.
- The idea is not to strive harder for sinless perfection on your own, but to have continuous, living, daily, active fellowship with him. Many of us loose hope, energy and zeal in their walk with God, and when they fail they feel even more miserable. But if we are to be honest, we must confess that we are not without sin. (1 John 1:8 – “If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.”)
- This passage is a reminder that our fellowship with God should not be hampered by our failures. This does not mean to minimize the gravity of our failures or sins. But the enemy has used the guilt of sin as his greatest weapon to discourage and derail the walk of a sincere follower of Christ. Verse 9, 10 is a proof that the fellowship with him does not mean one may not sin. It actually insures that we are constantly purified from our sins by the blood of Jesus Christ. Verse 9 is a right approach if we are found to be failing. It is to confess our sins to restore our fellowship. (1 John 1: 9 – ” If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.) One may argue that it may create a less serious view of our sin’s sinfulness! But I believe that one who has a fellowship with Him, will never have a casual view of his/her sin.
How can we have a constant fellowship with Him?
- Daily Quiet Time in His Words: This is the most essential step to have fellowship with God. Devil will try to attack against your time with God, he can remind you of all the most important things that you need to do right away. So never let it steal your time with God. This is not easy. But it is your spiritual powerhouse, energizer for each day. It will keep you walking everyday.
- Prayer: Just as your quiet time, your daily time with prayer is also essential to your walk with God. So always make a room for quiet time and prayer from your ‘busy’ schedule. If Jesus could take time to be with God, from his busy schedule of ‘Saving the world’, I am sure you can too.
- Fellowship with Fellow Followers: There may be times when your quiet time or prayer life may not be the most interesting or lively, fellowship with other Christians can act as a fuel to flame your extinguished lamp. So join a small group or bible study fellowship group.
These are the simplest yet most essential aspects of your walk with God. As we grow in our faith in Christ, we may tend to make things complicated, but if we stick to these basics, we will surely have much more living fellowship with God.
If you are blessed with this Bible study, I’d be very grateful if you’d help it spread by sharing it on Twitter, Facebook or your preferred social media network. Thank you!
—Amit Christian (BibleSEO Editor)