Bible Study Lesson:
1st John 2: 7-10
New Command or an Old Command:
John is making sure, his readers understand that he is not giving “new commands.” He is not starting new way or religion because old one has failed. We know many examples of people claiming to have “New revelation” and that all the “old” commands / messages have failed. These people claim that God abandoned his old commands, because it did not work. Our God is not a God of “trial and error”.
Characteristics of one who hates his brother:
- He claims to be in light.
- But he is in the darkness.
- Walks around in the darkness.
- Doesn’t know where he is going.
- Darkness has blinded him.
Pharisees in Jesus’ time were the prime example of these. They thought that they were in light, but the love of God was not in them.
Q. What does it mean to “see the truth in Him and you”?
The true understanding of God’s command can only be seen in the presence of true light. Jesus showed and manifested the true fulfillment of God’s law through his life and teaching. And by Him now we have access to the light which can show the truth.
- Ps. 119:105 “Your Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light to my path”.
- John 1:8-9 He (John the Baptist) came only as a witness to the light. The TRUE light that gives light to every man, was coming into the world.
- Jn 1: 4 “In Him was life, and that life was the light of men. The light shines in darkness, but the darkness has not understood it”.
- Jn 8:12 “I am the light of the world, whoever follows me will never walk in darkness but will have the light of life”.
The love for God and for people flows through those who walk in the “true” light. It is a natural response to the love that one has received in the first place.
Jesus summed up the teaching of the Law into the greatest commands.
- Love God
- Love People
If we have a living fellowship with God and if we love our brothers, there is nothing that can make us stumble. Sometimes, we tend to focus on our problem or struggle so much, that we lose the focus on the two fundamental aspects. Jesus spent a lot of time with people, places, parties we may find dangerous or try to avoid. Yet his presence brought light to those dark places. This is because his time with God the Father was always his priority. He was never too busy not to do QT / pray daily.
- How is your relationship with God at the moment?
- How are your relationship with others?
If you are blessed with this Bible study, I’d be very grateful if you’d help it spread by sharing it on Twitter, Facebook or your preferred social media network. Thank you!
—Amit Christian (BibleSEO Editor)