Bible Study on Joshua 1:1-9 – Biblical Principle of Prosperity and Success
Q) What are the keys to prosperity and success, according to you?
- Hard work
- Relentless desire and drive to succeed.
This bible study guide on Joshua 1:6-9 explores the key biblical principle of prosperity and success according to Bible. The participant study guide can be downloaded from here. Read Joshua 1: 1-9, we will focus our study on 1:6-9.
Q) Read Joshua 1:1-5. What is the background of this event?
- The Israelites were finally at the bank of Jordan river ready to enter the promise land, after wandering in the wilderness for 40 years.
- Moses, the great leader of Israel was dead. (Joshua 1:1)
- God had previously chosen Joshua to be the successor of Moses. (Numbers 27: 18-23) He was about the lead the Israelite into the promise land.
Q) Which of the command did the Lord God give to Joshua three times?
- “Be strong and Courageous.” (v. 6, 7, 9)
Q) What do you think about Joshua’s mindset from this passage?
- He may be overwhelmed by the occasion, terrified at the thought of leading the Israelites.
- He had been the apprentice of Moses. He had seen how Moses dealt with the people. He had seen the constant threats from the outside and continuous grumbling and complaints from within. Perhaps it was first time, it dawned on him that he was going to lead these people to the promise land.
Q) What commands did the Lord God give to Joshua? (Identify the commands with “to be” or “not to be”.)
- Be strong and courageous to lead these people.
- Be careful to obey all the Law of Moses.
- Do not be terrified and discouraged.
- Do not let the book of the Law depart from your mouth.
- Meditate on it day and night.
- Be careful to do everything written in it.
Q) What promises did the Lord God give to Joshua?
- I will never leave you nor forsake you. (v.5)
- The Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” (v. 5, 9)
Q) What are the conditions to success and prosperity according to verse 7, 8?
- Obey the word of God wholeheartedly.
- Do not turn from it to the right or to the left. Do not compromise on the word of God.
- Keep the word of God (bible) always on your lips. Memorize it. Immerse yourself with the word of God.
- Meditate on it day and night. This means not only read but study the bible.
- If you follow the above conditions, “then you will be prosperous and successful.” (v.8)
Q) What are the practical tips on these biblical principles?
We all want to be successful in what we do. Verse 7 & 8 describes some of the conditions to be successful in our life. But you may be wondering, how can I meditate on the word of God day and night, my schedule is too busy, there are too many things on my plate, I hardly find time for myself. How can I spend this much of time in Bible? Here are some of the practical tips for getting immersed with the word of God in your busy schedule.
- Take at least 10-15 minutes to do your daily quiet time. There is no alternative to it. If Jesus could spare some time from his busy schedule to be with His Father, we all can do too. (Here is a simple guide on how to do your quiet time.)
- If you commute, get the Bible on Audio and hear it on your way to work. (It is ok not to hear Christian music radio every once in a while.) In fact, you can have bible on audio pretty much anywhere. (There are some great dramatized audio bible available on Amazon.)
- For those of you with smart phones, you can download some free apps which sends you bible verses daily.
- Above all these tips, the old-fashioned Bible, notebook and coffee approach in your study closet always works.
- Think of at least one verse that you can remember from every book of Bible (first from NT and then from OT). That is the total of 66 bible verses! You may say I am not good at memorizing. With little bit of creativity, we can do so. ( If we can remember the stock prices or sports score or shopping list or home or TV schedule, we can remember the bible verses too!)
- Start your day with writing a bible verse in your daily calendar or schedule.
- Help your kids to memorize some bible verses. (It will also force you to memorize as well.) Have a fun Bible memory verse competition in your family.
These are some of the tips that we have discovered over time. Please share/comment any practical tips you may have about meditating/memorizing the word of God, and we will add here to the list.
To summarize these, the keys to success and prosperity are not hard work or self-driven life or anything else, but it is the continual, ever growing, daily fellowship with God through His Words and if you follow these timeless biblical principles, you will be Prosperous and Successful.
If you are blessed with this Bible study, I’d be very grateful if you’d help it spread by sharing it on Twitter, Facebook or your preferred social media network. Thank you!
—Amit Christian (BibleSEO Editor)