Have you ever heard someone’s testimony of how God has spoken to them in a clear way in a particular situation? You may always find a few in every small group or church, who always have accounts of God’s clear voice. Have you ever wondered how could God speak to everyone but you? Does God really speak? Or is it a mere emotion or feeling? Does He really communicate in a clear (sometimes audible) voice? The answer is of course “Yes!!”. He does. So, what are the ways in which He speaks? Let us look at what the Bible says about the ways in which God speaks to His people.
- Through the Word of God(2 Tim 3:16, Psalm 119:11, 105):This is the most clear and effective way of God’s communication with His people. If you want to know how things work perfectly, you need to read the manual. The Bible is God’s manual for His people. But as in case with other manuals, we often ignore the Bible. How often do we try everything else, but His word?
- Through the inner still, small voice of Holy Spirit(Acts 11:12, Acts 13:2, Acts 16:6-7, 1 Kings 19:12, Isaiah 30:19-21)
- Through the advice and counsel of the men and women of God (Prov 12:15)
- Through the Audible Voice of God (Acts 9:4-5)
- Through Dreams(Matthew 1:20-21) – There are many instances in the Bible, where God clearly communicates through dreams.
- Through Visions (Acts 10:9-18)
- Through Angels (Luke 1: 26-38) (Check out Angels and Demons: Bible Study)
- Through circumstances: However there is a danger of opening doors to Satan by letting mere circumstances dictate our lives. . So be wise and discerning with regards to your circumstances and expect God to speak to you through them.
- By Inner Conviction and Peace: It is similar to the inner still, small voice of Holy Spirit. God can give you deep conviction and inner peace about something. (Discover God’s Will – Practical Preparation)
We have all experienced some of these ways of God’s communications at different times. There is one question though.
Is there a danger here? Can we misinterpret our voice or desire as God’s voice? After all, sometimes we hear what we like to hear! I believe that it is important to examine it through multiple sources.
It is like three flag poles. When all three poles align in one direction, you can be sure of god’s will and direction for the particular situation. These three poles can be
- Word of God
- Inner Conviction
I hope and pray that ‘God will speak to you’ through this bible study notes!!
Check out Practical Preparation to Discover God’s Will.
If you are blessed with this Bible study, I’d be very grateful if you’d help it spread by sharing it on Twitter, Facebook or your preferred social media network. Thank you!
—Amit Christian (BibleSEO Editor)