Bible Study Lesson:
Q. What can we learn about the woman with the alabaster jar from this passage?
- Sinner, Lived publicly sinful life
- She knew Jesus and wanted to meet him
- Bold enough to go to Simon the Pharisee’s house without invitation!
- Repentant about her sinful life
- (Also check, Jesus and Zacchaeus, the tax collector)
Q. What were the common courtesy, a host has to do in that culture?
- Washing feet of the guest – it was hot, dry and dusty land, so it was much part of hospitality to wash guest’s feet for food and lodging.
- It was custom to welcome guests with a kiss. It was an act of affection and reverence.
- Kissing feet was also not unusual.
- People used to kiss Rabbi’s feet. It was a mark of subjection, obedience and reverence.
- Anointing with fragrant oil was customary and again it was act of courtesy and hospitality. [Read more…]