Bible Study Lesson:
- Mark 11:27-33
- Matthew 21:23-27
- Luke 20:1-8
- Mark 11:27 starts with ‘they arrived in Jerusalem again.” If we check the background of this event, there had been significant drama already played in Jerusalem in last few days. Let us look at last three days of Jesus.
- Day 1:
- Jesus arrived in Jerusalem from Bethany. (Mark 11:1-10) This was his last week before crucification. He entered Jerusalem and was greeted by people as a ‘great messiah’, it was a triumphant entry.
- On that day, he observed all that was going on in the temple, and went back with his disciples to Bethany. (Mark 11:11)
- Day 2:
- Next day (Mark 11:12), Jesus on his way to Jerusalem, he passed by fig tree, when he did not find any fruit on fig tree, he cursed the tree. It was a visual parable for the disciples regarding the ‘barrenness of Israel’. (Also check, bible study on Parable of Wedding Feast)
- He then went to the temple in Jerusalem and drove out all the merchants and money changers. (Mk 11:15-18)
- Day 3:
- Next day, disciples, on their way to Jerusalem, noticed that the fig tree was withered to its root (Mk 11:20)
- Finally they arrived again in Jerusalem (v. 27). And were confronted by the chief priests and scribes in the temple courts.
- By this time, the chief priests and scribes were already indignant by Jesus’ lack of respect of their ‘authority’, and were plotting to somehow trap him and kill him! [Read more…]