“Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.” (Matthew 5: 4)
Who are “those who mourn”?
- The “blessedness” literally means the state of being happy or blessed! In that sense, this beatitude seems contradictory, for how can one be happy, when he is mourning or sad?!
- There can be various reasons for mourning. It could be due to:
- loss of a loved one or job or any other kind of personal loss (Jesus heals Jairus’ daughter)
- suffering from sickness or disease (Jesus Heals the Woman with Blood Issue)
- personal sin, mistakes or failures
- mourning along with those who are afflicted or suffering
- mourning for the ‘Lost’ and for the ‘Kingdom of God to come.’ [Read more…]