Definition and Meaning:
- ‘Theos’ (Gr.) – God
- ‘dike’ (Gr.) – Justice
The literal meaning of ‘Theodicy’ is justifying God or justification of God. Theodicy is the branch of thoelogy which deals with problem of Evil in the world. It explains
- the reasons for presence of evil.
- Why does perfectly good, all-powerful God allows/permits evil?
When it comes to good and evil, there are five possibilities that can exist.
- Good is real, Evil is illusory. It says that cure of evil is essentially just thinking it away. (Christian Science)
- Evil is real, Good is illusory. (Pessimistic world view)
- Difference between Good and Evil is illusory. (Eastern mystical system such as Hinduism)
- Eternal co-existence of Good and Evil. (Chinese Yin and Yang philosophy)
- Only Good is eternally real, Evil is present reality within created universe. (Christian world-view) Christian worldview says that God is good and all powerful. Bible does not deny the presence of evil. Book of Job in Bible deals with the problem of evil. Book of Habakkuk also deals with questioning God about the ever increasing evil. (Hab 1:1-4) [Read more…]