What does the bible say about Hell? What is the definition of the Hell in the Bible?
- Hell is the place of eternal punishment after death for all those who refuse to repent.
- Matthew 25:46 – “They will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to the eternal life.”
- There are three words used for Hell in the Bible. Here are their descriptions with reference bible verses.
- Sheol: The meaning of Sheol is ‘the grave’ or ‘place of the dead’. The word is only used in Old testaments.
- Job 24:19 – “Drought and heat consume the snow waters, so does Sheol those who have sinned.”
- Psalms 16:10 – “For You will not abandon my soul to Sheol; nor will You allow Your Holy One to undergo decay.”
- Isaiah 36:10 – “I said, “ In the middle of my life, I am to enter the gates of Sheol; I am to be deprived of the rest of my years.”
- Other Bible references on Sheol: Psalms 9:17, Isaiah 14:9
- Hades: Hades is the Greek word for the under world, the realm of the dead. It is only used in New Testament.
- Matthew 16:18 – “I also say to you that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build My church; and the gates of Hades will not overpower it.”
- Revelation 1:17b, 18 – “I am the first and the last, and the living One; and I was dead, and behold, I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of death and of Hades.”
- Revelation 20:13-14 – “And the sea gave up the dead which were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead which were in them; and they were judged, every one of them according to their deeds. Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire.”
- Hell or Gehenna– It was named after the valley of Hinnom near Jerusalem where children were sacrificed by fire to the pagan gods. (2 Kings 23:10, 2 Chronicles 28:3)
- It is described as place of eternal fire, prepared for Satan, his angels and those who do not believe in God. Here are some of the bible verses on Hell (Hades).
- Matthew 5:22 – “But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother shall be guilty before the court; and whoever says to his brother, ‘You good-for-nothing,’ shall be guilty before the supreme court; and whoever says, ‘You fool,’ shall be guilty enough to go into the fiery hell.”
- Mark 9:43 – “If your hand causes you to stumble, cut it off; it is better for you to enter life crippled, than, having your two hands, to go into hell, into the unquenchable.”
- Matthew 25:46 – “These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”
- Revelation 20:10 – “And the devil who deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are also; and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.”
- Other Bible verses on Hell: Matthew 10:28, James 3:6, Revelation 19:20
If you have enjoyed this Bible study, I’d be very grateful if you’d help it spread by sharing it on Twitter, Facebook or your preferred social media network. Thank you!
—Amit Christian (BibleSEO Editor)