Bible Study Lesson: Beatitudes
“Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.”
Q. Meaning of hunger and thirst?
- ‘Hunger and thirst’ are strong words, meaning an ardent, eager, famishing, all consuming craving, desire and passion of the soul for God and his righteousness.
- Psalms often portrays picture of man craving and desiring more of God.
- Psalm 84: 1-2: “How lovely is your dwelling place, O Lord Almighty, my soul yearns, even faints for the courts of the Lord.”
- Psalm 143:6: “My Soul thirsts for you like a parched land.”
Q. Meaning of ‘Righteousness’?
- The word ‘righteousness’ comes from Greek word “dikaiosyne”, meaning rightness, quality of rightness or justice.
- it is justice held in love, both within the man and in the world.
- It is the rightness judged by the standard of God’s law.
- Being right with God [Read more…]